Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Unemployed and Looking for Work takes 3 Ps - Patience, Perseverance, and Prayer



The waiting, the interview game, the searching, no wonder I wanted to buy a career for myself. I want to get going on a career so bad I can taste it. Finding a new position that fits what I want and what a company wants is stressful, anyone who has looked for work knows the rejection, the anticipation, the effort, the stress.

So what can you do while you wait for the right job offer to come along. First off, why do you have time to do anything else? Looking for work is a full time job in itself. If you do have time though, read books and periodicals that pertain to the job and industry you want a career in. You may even find a job, you will impress during your interviews and you will feel like you are doing something productive. Patience does not come easy, but without it you'll make reactive decisions and not proactive. Take it from someone who knows, lack of patience means bad rushed decisions. If you feel productive you'll be able to weather out the storm.

Rejection is hard to take, even for the most confident person. You've found a position you want really bad but you didn't interview well or someone was just more suited for the position and you don't receive an offer. I've been there, you've been there, everyone has been there - You are not on your own. The thing is if you give up after too many nos you'll never get anywhere in life because life is full of nos. If you want to work or want a career you have to keep going, regardless of how many times you've been kicked down. Without perseverance you'll always be unemployed and down.

Looking for work can be a lonely occupation, especially if those around you are stressed about you being out of work. It's hard to stay positive have patience and persevere when you feel like your alone in the world. Prayer will help you talk out your feelings, failures, and make you feel like you're not on your own. You will need someone or something to listen to you so you can get perspective on your situation.

A couple years ago my life was great, I was content with what I had and excited because I was going back to work outside the home and start a career. I was reading Philip Yancey's book "The Bible Jesus Read" at the time and the first chapter was on the book of Job and my study of the Book of Job ended up being a warning about the future.


I've been kicked down so many times and have had so much go wrong that my closest friend keeps commenting that she doesn't know how I get out of bed in the morning. I'll let you in on a secret -- I try really really hard not to feel sorry for myself or expect others to feel sorry for me. I keep a positive outlook by focusing on the positive aspects of my life and not the negative. It's all about perspective and staying positive even when things don't go my way. Family has asked how I keep going and really, what else am I supposed to do? I am determined to have a successful career and do something with my life and in order to do that I have to keep going and persevere over every no, every rejection and be patient waiting for the right offer.

The don'ts of an interview

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like