If you've been following these posts then you know I've had lots of set back recently in both business and job search. Staying positive and not giving up have become harder but I keep getting back up, I must love eating dust. This time my credit report is the cause of my not being offered a position. Although I've never declared bankruptcy or ever been arrested because of late payments I've been denied a position I would have been perfect for.
Let this be a lesson for you as well, keep your credit rating good, you never know what you'll loose because of a bad credit rating. It doesn't take much to have bad credit, just a few late payments is all it takes to knock a hundred points off your rating and the only thing that can fix it is time.
Here's some things I've learned about credit rating and how to keep a good one:
1. Order your report from Equifax or other credit rating company. Are there any discrepancies? Any errors? I found one, too late for the job but good for the future.
2. Do you have late payments with any company? Make sure you aren't late again for the next 6-12 months - this will help you to create a better rating.
3. Don't apply for any credit -- any credit rating search or denial of loan will hurt your rating.
4. Close all accounts that you don't use, keep your credit amount lean and request reduction in limits on all credit you keep.
5. Use your credit regularly, just make sure you pay regularly too.
6. Protect your SIN and your other personal information to ensure you don't become a victim of identity theft that will destroy your credit.
7. Don't use any agency that claims to fix your rating for a fee -- it's a scam, the only way to correct your credit rating is time!!!!!! Be a responsible borrower for a year.
8. Have a plan to get out of debt and to get your payments made on time. Know your dates and minimum amounts, this is where I got screwed up. If possible make your payments automatic from your bank account and if you can't see if they will accept post dated cheques, I've been hit here too because they've either misplaced the cheques or I didn't record when the last cheque would be cashed.
It is getting harder to keep up the search for work, it's getting harder to be positive and optimistic about my chances. However, I can't give up because if I do I'll never get a job or get ahead. I want a career and the only way to get one is to keep going and find one, while at the same time building on my skills and knowledge.


No comments:
Post a Comment