Thursday, November 19, 2009

Starbucks..... Is There Anywhere Better to Be at Christmas


After dropping the kids off at school I headed off to the Starbucks at Indigo Books, my version of heaven - coffee and books. I love Starbucks at Christmas the amazing latte flavors like gingerbread and eggnog, the gifts, and tree decorations. Starbucks is an example of excellent marketing, design, and retail display.

I came here to write a chapter of a novel I'm working on and was so impressed by the Christmas merchandising I had to quickly make a note of it here. Timmy's doesn't have the same feel or inspiration that Starbucks does to sit for a time and enjoy its ambiance. (Tim's also doesn't have the Internet connection - I need to find a job, my next activity this morning.) Other private coffee shops have ambiance, and I do prefer to support them, but somehow at Christmas there is no other coffee shop I'd rather spend time in.

There is a small coffee shop kitty corner to the Starbucks I'm visiting and I do enjoy spending time there. Small business coffee shops have something special to them because they are unique. The Mocha House just outside of here is a quiet place to read and enjoy a great cup of joe.

I found a great coffee house in High River, AB, filled with antiques, local art, and comfortable chairs on main street. In Enderby, BC, Jack's on Cliff Ave is the place for an affordable breakfast or lunch and a wonderful cup of coffee. Enderby also has a coffee house on the main hwy to sit and enjoy a cappuccino in a historical brick building filled with art and warmth. Small towns have the best coffee shops because they don't compete with Tim Horton's and Starbuck's brands.

I found a wonderful coffee shop in White Rock called the "The Coffee Ritual Society." It is run by a church and is a non profit coffee house that donates the profits to charities. I love this place because of the modern decor, the separate room for kids to play in, and the games area. It's a really neat little place that needs some marketing and merchandising to make it extra special.

If a small coffee shop wants to survive in this big name brand world, it needs to be unique and a place people see as "their place." I don't just mean reward cards, you know the type - buy 10 and get one free. But a place that people feel they belong, where they can go and relax. The question always is how.....

Start by looking at the big names like Starbucks and Tims, what is it that makes them special? It's not all about the amount of money they have, there is a reason some people choose Starbucks and others choose Tim Hortons....

Why do you choose one over the other? What is it about your preferred Coffee Place that keeps you coming back?

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like