Thursday, February 11, 2010

What Type of Job has Everything I Want? Do YOU Have Any Ideas?

As you already know I am looking for work .... again. I don't have the seed capital to start up a good business so I'm on the job hunt. I don't know where to start though, I'm not sure which positions or companies I should target. Here's what I need:

1. Flexible Hours. - I need to a position where I am not tied to desk or have to punch a clock. I'm a hard worker and usually end up working longer hours then required, I just have to be able to work from home a bit, out and about sometimes, and at the office other times. I have to be able to get my kids off to school so I can't start until 9:00 or 9:30 depending on the commute. As well, I have to be able to be able to get my son to auditions and on set when he gets work. I also want to make sure I can get them to their activities after school. Plus my personality just isn't a 9-5 watch the clock sit at my desk all day type of worker.

2. Creativity - I am a creative person and as you may already be able to tell like to creative problem solve. I've always been on the more artistic side of life, whether I'm painting or creating digital ad layouts I enjoy the design process. Which is probably why I enjoy scrapbooking and cardmaking so much - layouts and design.

3. Advisory - Come on I blog because I like to put my 2 cents worth in. I enjoy writing and having an advisory role. I enjoy helping people hit their goals and most of the time I give my advice and knowledge for free.

4. Ethics - I need to be in an ethical environment with people who inspire me because of who they are and what they do. I need to respect my boss because of who he / she is and what they do to help make the world a better place. I am inspired by those who have values, morals and ethics.

5. Money - I have to make a decent wage, Vancouver is not a cheap place to live. My husband also wants to go back to school for a year so I'm on the hook to pay for the bulk of the expenses and I don't want my kids to have to give up their activities again just because I can't afford them. If I'm going to be concentrating on something other than my family or myself again I need to be paid well.

6. Professionalism and Value - I prefer a company that is professional and values its employees. I'm tired of companies that treat their employees like easily replaceable parts. I have a lot of skills to offer a company and I want to know that I am an integral part of their infrastructure. I don't need stupid token contests and gifts for what I did yesterday. I just need to know that what I offer is valuable and worth holding on to. Professional companies that understand what professionalism is and value employees that work hard is where I want to hang my hat for the next 10 plus years.

7. Productive - I need to feel productive, like I'm doing something, contributing to a bigger picture or bottom line.

8. Challenged - Challenge, I am the type of person who looks for solutions and challenges. I take the initiative and don't wait to be told what to do and how to do it. For some companies this would be a problem, for others a valuable commodity. I am a proactive and assertive individual when given the chance can do more then was ever expected to.

I believe the first thing anyone looking for a job needs to do is know exactly what they are looking for. I'm a little lost at the moment but with some help I think I can get back on track to find the right position for me. Just as any business must have a business plan, every job seeker needs a career plan and that's what I'm trying to develop.

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like