I'm feeling guilty, I spend too much time on my websites and blogs and not enough time cooking and cleaning. Is it wrong to want success?
In her book Am BITCH ous Deborah Condren tells stories of women who made choices to sacrifice career for their families. Sounds noble right? Well in the end a husband left one, a relationship broke up, and a husband died. All the women were left holding the bag with lower income power.
Growing up I always wanted the big career and I was on my way, I gave it all up to stay home with my kids. I did have the chance to get it back again when I was account manager selling pipe and pumpjacks in the oilfield but the fit with the company wasn't good. I had other offers just a few days later but instead of continuing I choose to sacrifice again this time for what my husband wanted.
Many who read this and my other websites are looking for a work at home opportunities. There are many new moms who have given chosen to put their careers on hold. Even though they have, there are many things they can do to add to their resumes for when they go back into the work force again.
Volunteer in positions that give you management and organizational experience. Start a small business to gain valuable business skills. However, if you choose to do either commit to both. The idea is to continue to learn and expand on your skills for your resume.
Deborah Condren advises to consider all possibilities even the bad ones before making a decision. She recommends that you find ways to keep your career and find other ways to have it all. Can you imagine having it all? The flexibility your family needs from you and be able to give everything you can to your career.
If you are looking for a work from home opportunity, the first thing you should do is talk to your HR department, is there a way for you to continue your career and still be home? How can you find the time for both? First you will have to commit to doing the work. For some the demands of home and kids is too big of a distraction. Thing is the office social and political distractions can waste more time then working at home. Put together a proposal to show how you can work from home and still be productive.
Think about the long term and what being out of the work force could mean for your career in the long run. Do what you can to find a way to continue to build your skill base while home, have contingency plans in place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment