Thursday, May 15, 2008

Decisions - Sometimes Outside Forces Turn Good Decisions into Bad Ones

I was talking with a neighbour yesterday about the state of the real estate market in Calgary. In January 2007 they decided to move at first to downsize then they decided to build a bigger more expensive home instead. The market in January 2007 was red hot and house prices were sky rocketing, but by June 2007 house prices were falling and many couldn't sell. They took possession of their home March 2008 and now own 2 houses, both for sale and neither are selling.

We've made a few decisions this last year that didn't work out, not for a lack of trying. The end result is that we are exactly where we were this time last year just poorer financially. Both my husband and I tried to change location, careers, and ended up back in the same house, he re-opened his automotive repair shop and I am unemployed.

So for all the effort to get ahead, make a difference, and build a future we got no where. That said, I did learned a lot about business, internet marketing, myself, and got to spend time with my kids. I read some great books and reconnected with some old friends. I found a new appreciation for single moms who have no help, my hats off to them it wasn't easy. The year wasn't a loss, just a lot of upheavel and uncertainty. I'm ready for stability and routine.

What does this have to do with small business or work at home business, a lot because we all make decisions on a daily basis and some turn out to be wrong. If you have a business plan in place that outlines your goals and where you want to be it will help you to gauge if the decision you are making is best for your business. It will help you to stay on course and keep you from distractions that are all around you. One thing that many work at home women want to do is everything, they want to take on every opportunity that comes along. Speaking from experience, don't take on other opportunities - the distraction will take away from your business, your plan and you'll end up right where you started, just poorer.

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like