Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter a Time of Reassessment of Priorities and Plans

I've been very busy lately moving into our home - finally. It has been such a long drawn out process and now that we are here I'm feeling overwhelmed. This house needs a lot, everything needs to be updated and we only have a short period of time. Our garage is a pile of boxes filled with stuff we need to use now, stuff for holidays, and boxes of memories. I have felt very overwhelmed by it all and don't know where to start.

Before we moved I sat down with my husband and asked him to write out the steps he wanted done in order. I did the same. I gave him a layout map of the house and asked him to designate furniture and ownership to each room. I did the same. With this information I was able to come up with a plan of action, a list of priorities, and a organizational blueprint. This has changed on a regular basis as our time continued to slip by quickly. First we were going to rip out carpet, then paint, then put in flooring, and then move stuff into the house.... Well you can't do all that in 10 days with 2 people and 2500 square feet. No matter how many hours you put in.

In the end we left the carpet and rented a rug doctor to clean it - twice. We painted those rooms we needed to move into - the kitchen, family room, playroom, and bedrooms. Everything we didn't absolutely need is still piled in the garage.

Plans have to be flexible and reviewed on a constant basis in order to work with time constraints, financial limitations, and a host of other obstacles that can get in your way. Spring is a good time to look at your business plans and take stock in what you've done, what needs to be done, and what can wait in the backroom 'til later. Break large jobs into small manageable pieces and then prioritize those pieces. Stay flexible so that priorities can be switched when needed in order to manage your time and finances best.

Anything can happen that will switch up any best laid plan. Since March 17th I've painted over 1/2 my home, moved 10 trailer loads of boxes across town, packed, unpacked, and stocked my kitchen. On top of this we've have my daughter's 8th birthday celebration, family Easter dinner (20 people) at our new home, my son's 11th birthday celebration and my parents staying for the Easter weekend. Life gets busy but this doesn't mean you can't review your plans and make sure things are getting done. As I stand here looking at the boxes in my garage wondering which ones need to be unpacked now I keep my eye on the prize one step at a time.

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like