Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Looking for Work - Getting Help!

So today it starts, I have to get serious about finding a job and the government is going to help. Since I'm on Employment Insurance there are a number of organizations that provide job seekers with support, direction, education, and motivation. The first step is to see an employment counsellor at one of the many employment resource centers across Canada. From there a job seeker will be referred to one of the many different programs set up to help them be more efficient and successful.

I have to admit I thought it would be for unskilled labour and a huge waste of time. Day one was boring for the most part but had some jewels of information. I'd done most of the self assessment work already, but for those that haven't the worksheets they provided were helpful. The binder will help me get organized and get more serious about applying for work. The biggest benefit today, getting motivated to do those things I've been putting off.... namely creating a contact card for networking. A must for any job seeker that wants to market themselves better.

Tomorrow we start the resume writing workshop. This is the main reason I was referred to this particular program, I guess my initial one sucked. However, since then I spent a day at the library researching and reworking my resume, so tomorrow may be more of the same. If anything I may learn something new or just confirm that what I've got now is the best resume for my job hunting needs. Sometimes just confirmation that what we are doing is right is enough to boost our confidence and motivate us to keep going.

The main benefit for me is going to be focusing on finding a position. I have had big distractions and now that we are settled in our new place, well for the most part, it's time to get back to work. A refresher course couldn't hurt.

No comments:

Shout Me - Share Me

Facebook Like