I've been asking myself a lot lately, what makes someone a professional? In sports and the art world the difference between an Amateur and a professional is simple - one gets paid the other doesn't.
Is it really that simple? I don't think so. A professional means more than a paycheque, it's the difference between learning and arriving at excellence. Its an attitude, an image, a way of thinking, and acting. Being a professional is more then a certificate on the wall or a job. There are many paid individuals in the marketplace, employees, small business owners, and salespeople who do not act or think like a professional.
So what characteristics make someone a professional?
Preparation. A professional is always prepared for any situation, objection, and question. Nothing phases them and they are known for their abilities in their industry.
Knowledge. A professional knows everything about their industry, market, specialty, or job. They are known for being the go to person.
Image. A professional looks like a professional, not just sometimes but all the time. The dress, act, and talk like a professional all the time.
Practice. A professional is always practicing the basics and getting better at what they do. They practice so much that they don't have to think about it, they just do it. They re-act quickly and always know exactly what to do.
Responsibility. Professionals do not blame others for their failures. They take responsibility when they make a mistake and then fix it. They do not offer excuses or play the blame game. The do the job right and make sure everything is done right.
Private. Professionals don't gossip or hang out at the water cooler. Professionals don't bring the personal problems to the office or blab about their lives all day. Professionals are there to work, they understand how to be pleasant and are experts at small talk but they are not about the drama of life.
I want to be a professional, I strive to be a professional salesperson but I fall short. If I keep working, keep striving, and continue to learn I will one day achieve professional status.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment